Poster.

i_want_you_for_u_s__army_rst__n_by_adamcuerden-d32aw9u

I believe this is one of the most famous posters of all time. Everyone has seen this image and there have been countless parodies of it as well. It was created during WWI as propaganda to recruit soldiers for the American Army. Uncle Sam is depicted pointing at and staring into the eyes of the viewer, drawing them in. The use of an iconic figure (Uncle Sam) and the choice of the red, white and blue colors make it very patriotic. Uncle Sam personifies the United States and is a man associated with the qualities of fairness, reliability, honesty, and who is devoted to his country. The “YOU” is the most prominent word. It is larger than the rest and a different color, which again draws the viewer in. I believe this poster connects to the viewer in a very personal way (especially emotionally). This poster was so overwhelmingly successful that it was later used in WWII.

2 thoughts on “Poster.

1. Bridget, I agree that this poster is very profound. The major message of the poster is clear: That Uncle Sam wants people to fight for the U.S. army. I agree that the red, white, and blue colors add significant meaning to the poster. By creating a more patriotic theme, it brings an element of American culture to the table. Because the typeface that says “I want YOU for U.S. Army” is so bold and crisp, it draws the viewers eyes to it immediately.

2. I agree that this poster really draws you in and gets its point across effectively. The way Uncle Sam is drawn, it even seems as if he is leaning forward and coming off the poster. It is a very effective way to catch the eye of the viewer. I also like the borders on the poster. The border makes the poster stand out, and the colors stick with the American theme of red, white, and blue. The poster is very effective and patriotic, down to the borders.