Part of your world

little_mermaid_ver1_xlg(Warning: Torrey Lee is talking in jest in most of this piece and depiction’s shouldn’t be taking as fact. Its just meant to be satarical to make you read everything. He actually loves Neil Carter, Ron Clements and John Musker. Except for the Princess and the Frog…You know what you did.)

Oh the days when Disney Princesses ruled the magic kingdom. I mean seriously, what do men get out of the deal? Aladdin was technically a Disney prince (after the whole street rat deal.), but who gets the thespian running around the parks to take photos, PRINCESS Jasmine… Where’s the justice? Lets get back on point before I get into a rant.

I love The Little Mermaid poster. Might it have been me as a seven-year old crushing on an animated hottie, or the future teenage me cheering on a rebelling aqua-human teenager.

This poster has all the elements to sell the idea. The wordmark used accents that cater to the water aspect of the movie. A majority of the movie, you are watching a pissed-off teen singing about living under the sea. Apparently the graphic designers of this poster wanted to showcase the feeling of someone yearning for a new world. Though her life is pretty fun, and she’s the favorite daughter of the sea-king, the artist depicted her in darkness (depression) looking for more.  Well done, senior graphics-guy.

Though really, he didn’t’ have much to work with in this piece filled with racism and misogyny.  Come on, we all know that Ron Clement and John Musker were sitting around saying;

Ron: “Dude, how I am supposed to make this chick depressed? The movie can’t progress.”

John: “Well you were the one that wanted her singing with that Jamaican crab.”

Ron: “Hey! He’s Caribbean! Besides, they’re a jovial people.”

John: “Alright, Alright. You just need to make her shut up for half of the movie.”

Ron: “I got it! A sea-witch steals her voice. What’s that fat lady’s name from Gimme a Break?”

John: “You mean Neil Carter?”

Ron: “Perfect, we’ll name her Ursula.”

John: [sighs] “I’ll prep the legal team.”

Though in all seriousness, I liked the poster because it’s simulated use of light. Back before those days, artist just drew a character in darker shade and assumed that would display a lack of sunlight.  The artist had to incorporate the coldness (color temperature) of the sea while showing Disney vibrance.  Then again, the artist get’s one for two in his designs…You’ve seen the other with the phallic castle right?  Yeah…look real close…

littlemermaid

2 thoughts on “Part of your world

1. I like this poster. I also agree with Torrey that the poster definitely sells the idea. Gradient blue lays a stable, consistent foundation for the poster, which makes the yellow title of film stand out. With light coming in from above the sea, the poster creates a dreamy effect and a hopeful tone, which resonates with the movie. While most spaces are filled with blue background, the designer smartly utilizes the diagonal line to enrich the poster, as seen in the details in little mermaid’s tail.

2. Wow. You absolutely hit the nail on the head Torrey. One of the things I like about this poster is the story it tells. It has the love story, conflict, and fun all in the same general area. The artist did an excellent job balancing the emotions and told a clear story. I also like how all the light elements are in the middle surrounded by darker ones. It really draws your eye to one area.