Rosie The Riveter Poster

Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 10.26.55 PM

This is a poster that has been around since 1943, but became more noticed in the ’80’s. It is an American wartime propaganda poster produced to emphasize feminism and women workers in World War II. Now, many people know the poster as “Rosie the Riveter”, named after a female worker in the war.

I like this poster because it draws the eye from one end to the other effectively. When you first glance at the poster, you see the woman’s arm which directs you to the caption at the top of the poster. The colors are bold and allow the words to remain visible. I think the slab serif font style is successful in this case because it is easy and clear to read at a quick first glance.

The words in the poster “We Can Do It”, are supported by the woman displaying her muscles because she’s showing the public that woman are just as capable as men and “can do it too.” Also, the yellow background is so bright and strong, emphasizing the strength of the woman. I don’t believe there are improvements to be made here, I think it’s a very successful, well cherished poster.

2 thoughts on “Rosie The Riveter Poster

1. This poster is very stylish. Bold yellow flows powerfully in the background, suggesting a vibrant tone. Illustration of the muscle is well supported by the subject line “We Can Do It!” Also, as Sarah suggests, the arm directs viewers’ attention naturally to the top, which is good. One thing I don’t quite understand is the orientation of the poster. Cutting the character from the middle, the poster seems a bit ungainly. As a viewer, I’m expecting to see the whole body/posture of the woman, rather than her upper half. Not sure if this has anything to do with the poster trend back in the 40s.

2. I agreed with you the design of the woman’s arm, which directs people to the words, is very smart and effective. Also, the words “W”, “C”, “D”, and “I” are a little bit extended, and this design makes the sentence more powerful and convincing.