Ebay and Jeep Wordmarks

ebay

The typeface of the Ebay logo, Univers 53 Extended, is an example of san serif. I think this is an effective wordmark because the mix of different warm colors not only capture the viewers eye but come off as fun too. Ebay is like its own community, attracting members from all over the world to sell items, so the mixture of colors is effective. I like how all of hte letters are lowercase, too, because it makes the font more playful. The letters are also simple and easy to read, with little to no space between them, making the tracking even. The kerning between letters is also very minimal, showing how close people from all over the world are and how one is able to order a product from Australia, with this online trading superstore.

Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 8.08.33 PM

The Jeep word mark uses the sans serif typeface similar to Helvetica Bold. Jeep is a brand of cars that have been around for years and are known to be rugged sport utility vehicles. The army green font color works with the brand, reminding me of the outdoors and manly doings like hunting. It is a very simple font and uses even tracking space and kerning.The bold face reminds me of strength because these cars are built tough.

2 thoughts on “Ebay and Jeep Wordmarks

1. I agree that the Jeep word mark matches with the off-roading and tough brand identity. I also think the wordmark suits the history of the Jeep that is tied to the military. Types of Jeeps were used in WWII, and I think the Army green color along with the strong bold face of the wordmark really represents this history. It gives the feeling that a Jeep is a type of vehicle that won’t break down when life gets rough.

2. I can’t not say the design of ebay’s wordmark is impressive, but as Sarah has suggested, it’s effective. The colorfulness suggests that online trading could be a lot of fun. I like it and agree with Sarah about the close kerning, which indicates that no matter how far away people are from each other, online trading is bringing people together at the same time. This really resonates with ebay’s brand image.