National Geographic Website

Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 9.33.51 PM

Figure and ground: Nationally Geographic is typically known for its black and yellow colors. However, on the website, black is only present in the navigation bar. The background for the rest of the website it white and the yellow accents don’t stand out very well against it.

Proximity and alignment: The font is a very simple sans serif that looks a lot like Arial. While it is used consistently throughout the website, I don’t think it really engages the viewer. I’d expect a website like National Geographic that is known for its stunning visuals, to choose a more interesting font.

Visual hierarchy: Titles and headlines are bigger than the sub-heads/captions for the things which they are explaining. These main headlines are also highlighted with yellow which does show importance in this case because the other information features no color at all. And for almost every piece of information there is a picture to accompany it. The picture is generally very big and is proportional to the size of the headline. The picture helps to draw readers attention and then their eye will follow below and read the information that goes with the picture.

2 thoughts on “National Geographic Website

1. They do have a nice design for as much information as they are trying to put on their site. I went to their Photography tab because of how famous they are for their photography, and I was surprised that they didn’t feature more of their photos. I think if they were to update this page, they could adopt a design similar to the KitKat website and have strong alignment with many large pictures featured.

2. Any Abercrombie London goods have got a charm of their very own, which happens to be not likely provided by almost every trademark. I’ve worked in clothing for a long time, and there is SUPPOSED to be a true difference in how they are sized. Tells me that I have no friends and that I might as well die skinny in hospital than live fat. We have the conviction that today can be a little better and a little more fulfilling than yesterday. Rice said eight naked PETA protestors would appear at Canberra’s Washington embassy on Tuesday painted in the colours of the Australian flag.