Week 2 Gelb

Flickr_wordmark.svg

As a popular platform for image sharing, Flickr uses Frutgier Black in their wordmark. I think that the boxy-shaped letters of the Sans-Serif typeface has a clean feel that makes it easy to read. I like the square dot over the letter “i” that maintains the square style of the letters. Also, it is important to note the stylistic choice that was made to use five blue letters and one pink letter at the end. By having the first five letters “flick’ in blue, it isolates those letters and emphasizes the word “flick” which in my head makes me think of how it sounds like “pic” which aligns with the company’s role as an image host site. Similarly, the single and last letter “r” is a deep magenta that leaves the eyes on a bright, enticing note. I like that the wordmark conveys just enough playfulness and curiosity, but without taking away from its sense of professionalism.

NordstromLogo

Similar to the font “Optima,” the Nordstrom wordmark is a custom typeface specifically designed for Nordstrom’s use only. With the slightest flares at the end of the letters, it has subtle yet classy and refined style that exudes Nordstrom’s branding as a respectable household name. In addition, I like the tiny variations in its weight and thickness as it easily leads the eyes across the evenly spaced and capital letters. The use of all capital letters exudes a sense of strength and pride in the company. The Nordstrom wordmark is classic and elegant. As an avid shopper and supporter of Nordstrom, I’ve always been able to count on Nordstrom for quality service and products–Nordstrom’s powerful logo is justified as Nordstrom stands apart from the rest (just like the letters through the use of kerning).